Today we introduce you to candidate Joe Sack:
What are the three most important issues for Rye in 2014
- Restoring our faith and trust in the way that City government is run, especially after the scandals – including the Rye Golf Club and Rye TV scandals – of the outgoing French/Jovanovich administration. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92i4rBAcFFM
- Putting an end to the divisiveness and negativity on the Council, increasing the collaboration and communication, and making Rye united again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKezGkDJR2k
- Controlling taxes and maintaining essential City services – including negotiating a fiscally sound police contract that protects the taxpayers and respects the men and women who serve our community. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bFkQ3-qxFM&feature=youtu.be
Rye Playland. Questions:
- Which of the Rye Playland alternatives do you favor? I support the SPI concept of reinventing Playland for the 21st Century, and also want to ensure that Rye’s interests are adequately protected.
- Do you believe the financial performance of Rye Playland has been misstated by the County Executive (yes or no) and should the financial statements of Rye Playland be audited by an independent auditor? No. Maybe.
- What’s your favorite ride at Rye Playland and why? Dragon Coaster, of course.
Rye City Budget and Infrastructure. Questions:
- What percentage of the city’s budget is comprised of healthcare and pension contributions? A significant majority of the City’s budget of approximately $31 million goes to salary and benefits. The healthcare and pension portion of the budget totals approximately $7.5 million, or approximately 24 percent.
- What can and should Rye be doing to control city employee healthcare and pension costs? Negotiating good provider agreements, increasing employee contributions when appropriate, and lobbying state officials.
- Infrastructure in Rye: The Central Avenue Bridge in Rye was replaced this year, six years after it was washed out in the floods of 2007. Questions:
- What are the three most important infrastructure projects in Rye City?
- The projects funded by the recent bond referendum
- Creating and improving more sidewalks
- Railroad station plaza
- Is it ever appropriate to defer needed infrastructure maintenance or improvements even if in the end the deterioration results in a more expensive project? That is not a desirable scenario.
- What is the best way to fund infrastructure? An appropriate mix of grants, operating expenses and debt.
- What are the three most important infrastructure projects in Rye City?
Flooding in Rye. Questions:
- What has been done in Rye since the 2007 floods to mitigate future flooding? Introduction of the sluice gate at the Bowman Dam.
- What still needs to be done to mitigate flooding concerns in Rye City? Explore upstream retention, starting with a peer review study of existing conflicting reports.
Rye Town Park. Questions:
- Should Rye City own and run Rye Town Park, yes or no? The park is an asset of both Rye City and Rye Town residents, and we need to work cooperatively to keep it a special place.
- If the government entity Rye Town is dissolved and goes away, should the park fall under the ownership and control of Rye City, Westchester County or someone else? The park is an asset of local residents, regardless of municipal entities.
- Should dogs be allowed off leash in the park, yes or no? Yes, before 9 a.m. only, with strict enforcement thereafter.
The TD Smoke Shop on Purchase Street. Questions:
- Should the Smoke Shop stay open, yes or no? I hope so.
- Should the Smoke Shop stay open even if it means the City needs to intervene with the building owner or others, yes or no? It would be nice to preserve this business, which commands an iconic presence in the fabric of our community.
The Rye Golf Club has been mired in scandal and badly mismanaged. Questions:
- Does the Rye City Manager Scott Pickup hold responsibility for mismanagement and if so, what consequences should befall Mr. Pickup? Every employee and council member should be held accountable for their actions. I do not believe that has happened with regard to the City manager. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvdTPm_Nni8
- In the future, what needs to be done to place proper auditing and financial controls? Greater checks and balances, and greater oversight.
- What specifically should happen with the dining facility at Whitby Castle? The City is poised to finally issue a Request for Proposals, which should provide some clarity.
- Should Rye Golf Club members be forced to pay a $300 food minimum, yes or no? That is a question to be decided by the membership. As a member, I do not mind the minimum if it helps the club, but I understand that some may feel differently.
Green issues in Rye. Questions:
- Is Rye being overbuilt, yes or no? We should always strive for the correct balance, and we need to explore how that is best defined.
- Should there be rules about cutting down trees of a certain size or age? Who doesn’t love trees? But the tree ordinance proposed misguided, though well-intentioned. I did not support it as written.
- Do you support the plastic bag ban in Rye, yes or no? I voted in favor of the bag ordinance.
- Should we cull the deer population in Rye, yes or no? Yes.
- What else should we be doing to make Rye a sustainable city? Keep Sara Goddard helping us!
Word Association: tell us the one word you associate with each of these topics:
Scott Pickup: Should-be-held-accountable
Doug French: Outgoing
Steve Otis: Well-respected
George Latimer: Well-liked
Judy Myers: Mamaroneck
Bill Connors: Time-for-a-fresh-start
Rye City: Home
Central Avenue Bridge: Needed-more-urgency
Bowman Avenue Dam Sluice Gate: Every-inch-counts
The Smoke Shop: Heart-of-our-city
Rye Little League Parade: Americana
Rye Recreation: Fields
Plastic Bag Ban: Helpful
Rye Playland: Dragoncoaster
Rye Marshlands Conservancy: Unspoiled
Edith Read Sanctuary: Slice-of-heaven
Rye Garnet Football: Team
Harrison Huskie Football: Competitor
Tell Us About Your Campaign:
What “ticket(s)” are you running on? Rye United.
Who else (if applicable) is running on your ticket? Kirstin Bucci, Terry McCartney and Julie Killian. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPwxlwaN3rQ
What local organizations have endorsed your candidacy? Republican, Independence, Conservative
What are the three most important endorsements you have received from local residents? Former two-term Rye Mayor John Carey, Lt. Col. Nelson Bartram (aka Doug Carey), my neighbors on Thorne Place… and of course, my Rye United teammates!
How much money has your campaign raised as of Sunday, October 20, 2013? For questions regarding campaign finance, please see the detailed filings on the New York State Board of Elections website.
How much of the money raised to date is from you, your immediate family or relatives? no answer
How much of the money raised to date is from individual donations of $100 or less? no answer
What percentage of money has been spent on postal mailings to Rye homes? no answer
What percentage of money has been spent on advertisements in local newspapers or web sites? no answer
What comprises the other major expenditures? no answer
Who is your campaign manager and where do they live? no answer
Tell Us More About You:
Where do you live in Rye? Thorne Place
How long have you lived in Rye – since what year? 12 years
What’s your day job? attorney
If your co-workers (from your day job) were to describe you in a single word, what word would they use? folksy
Did you have a summer job in high school and if so, what was it? golf caddy
Tell us about your family. Wife Kerri, and 3 daughters who attend Rye schools.
What’s your favorite Rye area restaurant for “date night” with your partner? Belluscio’s and Town Dock
What’s your favorite Rye area restaurant for take-out or delivery when you are having dinner at home with your family? Piazza Pizza
Where might we find you on a Sunday morning? With the kids at Dock Deli
What is your most unusual skill? Sitting through 6-hour City Council meetings without getting up for a bathroom break.
What is your political affiliation? registered Republican
Your favorite major league baseball team: Yankees
Your Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/RyeUnited
Your twitter call: @joesack10580
Your campaign web site: www.RyeUnited.com