Come see "The Game" in its 82nd year - Garnet Football takes on the Harrison Huskies this Saturday, October 20th at 1:30pm. Rye will look for its tenth straight victory.
In advance of the big day Robert Castagna, Director of Physical Education, Health, and Athletics, issued the following note to Rye families about the big game. if you are new to Rye and have never been, cancel your plans and go to the game - you won't want to miss this Rye tradition.
October 15, 2012
Dear Rye Families:
It is my pleasure to invite you to a very special athletic event at Rye High School. This coming Saturday is the Rye Garnets/Harrison Huskies football game. Following are details and a few requests we ask of you to help keep this game an event that maintains a tradition of pride in our athletes and our community, and that models cooperation, sportsmanship, and respect of the teams.
October 20 - The Rye/Harrison varsity football game is hosted by Rye this year. The game begins at 1:30 p.m. at John Nugent Stadium. Please note the following details and requests:
• Pre-Game-Day ticket sales - this year tickets will be sold on Friday, 10/19 from 10:15 to 1:00 at the RHS cafeteria and from 5:30 - 9:00 p.m. outside the RHS gymnasium. These tickets are non-refundable.
• Game-Day tickets go on sale at 12:00 p.m. at the Bridge and at the Boston Post Road gates to the stadium.
• Ticket price: $5.00 for adults and children over 5 years of age; children under 5 years of age and Senior Citizens (age 65 and over) are admitted at no charge. If possible, please bring exact change to help speed up the lines!
• Children must be supervised at all times. Over six thousand spectators are expected - everyone's cooperation is requested in this matter.
• Vendors will be on hand selling Rye souvenirs and refreshments - NO COOLERS PERMITTED.
• The Rye High School campus is alcohol, drug, and smoke free.
• Parking is limited; if you can walk to the game or car-pool, it would be appreciated.
• Wear your Garnet & Black proudly!
Reminder (for this game and all athletic events):
• No signs or banners
• No coolers (refreshments for sale on site)
• No backpacks (all bags are subject to search)
• No horns, noisemakers, etc.
• No dogs
• No pick-up ball games on side fields. Footballs will be taken by security personnel and returned after the game.
The Rye-Harrison junior varsity game takes place at Harrison High School at 9:30 a.m. on October 20. Please come out to support our JV football team, too.
The annual Pep Rally will be held in the Rye High School gym at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, October 19th, followed by the bonfire on the lower Brookside field, adjacent to the turf field.
On behalf of the team and the entire Garnet family, I encourage you to attend the game and to join with us in representing Rye as a community throughout the week at the activities surrounding this long-standing but friendly athletic rivalry.
Thank you for your enthusiasm and support!
Director of Physical Education, Health, and Athletics
Spectator Code of Conduct
The Physical Education and Athletic Departments recognize the role of Interscholastic Athletics in defining ethical behavior and developing personal character in our students. Therefore, we ask that all spectators:
1. Demonstrate a high degree of sportsmanship.
2. Show team support by making only positive comments.
3. Show respect for the judgment of coaches, officials and referees.
4. Acknowledge fields, courts and equipment as the player's domain during contests. Spectators remain within designated areas.
5. Monitor the safety of children in bleachers and stands.
6. Respect the law: all public schools are smoke-free, substance free environments.
7. Athletic contests on/off campus are an extension of the classroom. Therefore, all school rules are in effect!
Our school district supports relationships that are based on trust, decency and fairness. Rye athletic contests are held in the spirit of healthy competition and good sportsmanship. We expect cooperation and respect by all athletes and spectators at home and away contests. Remember that you are a representative of Rye!